- 2017 AIA Emil Sodersten Award for Interior Architecture (National)
- 2017 AIA NSW Architecture Award for Interior Architecture (NSW)
- 2017 Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) Award of Excellence (NSW)
- 2017 INDE Award for The Building (Asia Pacific)
- 2017 INDE Award for The Best of the Best (Asia Pacific)
- 2017 Australian Interior Design Awards – Premier Award for Int. Design (National)
- 2017 Australian Interior Design Awards – Residential Best of State (NSW)
- 2017 Australian Interior Design Awards – Residential Design (National)
- 2017 Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards – Best Residential (National)
- 2017 Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards – Best Kitchen (National)
- 2017 Belle Coco Republic Interior Design Awards – Best Bathroom (National)
- 2016 AIA Robin Boyd Award for Residential Architecture (National)
- 2016 AIA Wilkinson Award for Residential Architecture (NSW)
- 2016 World Architecture Festival (INSIDE) Awards – Residential (International)
- 2016 Interior Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) – Residential (National)
- 2016 Interior Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) – Overall Winner (National)
A piece of sculpture to be lived in, this exciting project fronts newly-built Central Park in Sydney’s Chippendale, creating an inspiring residence for an art collector. Behind a façade of sculpted concrete, serene living spaces and monumental halls create a dynamic interplay of spare interiors in which the main decorative element is light.
On the second floor, sitting and dining rooms are divided by screens and overlook the park. A sky-lit kitchen and study look back into the building, creating views across the stair hall. Spaces are large but not ostentatious. Internal finishes are modest and pared-back: floors are brick-paved, walls are set render, fittings are simple.
The brief was for Indigo Slam to last 100 years. Materials are selected to wear and endure and fittings to last, with operable elements mechanically rather than digitally operated. These include oversized vertical timber blinds that turn and retract by means of hanging chains and awning windows operated by geared winders. The brass armatures for these moving parts lend finely grained detail to the interior and to the steel, glass and concrete of the building façade.
Indigo Slam represents a rare opportunity to add a large residence of substantial quality and architectural merit to the diverse neighbourhood of Chippendale, and participate in the reinvigoration in this part of Sydney as a place of architectural and cultural interest.
SMART DESIGN STUDIO ARCHITECTURE FROM THE INSIDE OUT